Housekeeping is not as easy as it seems to be. You have to be jack of all in order to keep everything in perfect order. It takes a lot to make everything look good. Sometimes, it so happens that we start taking things for granted and do not realize their importance in our lives.
As for instance, if you have your kitchen sink clogged and the water does not get through to the drain, you feel very awkward especially, if it is an odd hour to call for help from a plumber. In such a situation, you need to become a plumber yourself, right?
So how to unclog a double kitchen sink with standing water?
So, if you have double sink which is clogged and there is water standing inside, before applying a of the clogged kitchen sink home remedy, make sure that you first block the other sink which is still working fine. You can use a stopper or a cloth to do it.
⇒Pour Boiling water
The first thing which can do for kitchen sink clogged past trap is to boil water in a pan.
- Bring the water to a boil so that you can a rolling boil.
- In the meanwhile, what you can do is to remove all the standing water in the sink with another pot or a cup or a bowl.
- As soon as the water boils, pour the whole of it in to the sink at once so that a pressure is created and all the dirt stuck in the drainage is washed away
⇒Check the Garbage Disposal
If you are still wondering how to unclog a kitchen sink with standing water, you can:
- Check the disposal of the garbage. Yes! The garbage disposal is supposed to work for sure.
- If the disposal is blocked, it may also cause the sink to stop draining the water.
- If you sense that the disposal is a bit overheated, it means you have to turn around the switch underneath or the bottom of your kitchen sink.
Another DIY which you can try if you really want to know unclogging your double kitchen sink is to put half cup of common salt in your sink and then pour a lot of boiling water after it sits down the drain. Hopefully, your problem will be resolved soon.
⇒Baking Soda and Vinegar:
You can even try some other tips to unclog your kitchen sink. One of the famous methods is to use Baking soda and vinegar. Yes! It may work for you.
- Remove the standing water in the first place from the sink.
- Then put approximately a cup of baking soda in the drain.
- Now take an equal amount of vinegar. It does not matter if you have white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the vinegar over the baking soda
- When you will pour it there, the solution will come to a boil
- Let the boil come to an end, then you will place the sink stopper.
- Now is the waiting time. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- At last, put a whole lot of hot water over the mixture and you will have an unclogged kitchen sink.
⇒Salt and Baking Soda:
This one is a bit time-consuming method, but it is also tried and tested in many cases:
- Make a mixture of 1 cup of baking soda and half cup of salt.
- Pour it down the drain after removing the standing water.
- Once the mixture sits down. It will take quite a few hours like 4 to 5 hours.
- Now, pour boiling water in to the drainage.
- Repeat the process again if the sink is still clogged.
⇒Use the Plunger:
If you have kitchen sink clogged tried everything, give this one a chance. All you have to do is to:
- Get hold of a common plunger designed for household use.
- Develop a tight seal around the plunger so as to create a vacuum. You should keep it so as no air can pass through the sides.
- Now plunge with the plunger multiple times.
- You will then hear the clearing of the drain with a suction sound.
- Now remove the plunger and pour in a lot of hot water.
One of the easiest solutions may be to check the P-trap. Yes! It is basically a curved pipe fixed inside the drain pipe and is specially designed for the purpose of capturing the dirt. It is quite possible that there is some clog caught in there which was not letting the water drain through. So, you need to have a look at the P-trap.
First place a bowl or bucket just below the drain pipe so that your kitchen cabinet does not get damaged with a bit of water still in the drain pipe. Now slowly remove the P-trap and check if it is clean. Clear it out if there is something in there and then replace it. Pour in a lot of hot water to check if it works or not.
⇒How about a Plumber’s snake!
Here is a tool which can do wonders for you if nothing else has helped you to unclog the kitchen sink drain. Even if you will hire a plumber, he may also try this one out first as they mostly have this tool with them. But you can even buy yourself from any of the plumber supplies shop, so as to save your time and money. This will work your way when you will dismantle the drainpipe and P-trap just below the sink of your kitchen.
Once done, you will now be able to see the stub pipe which mostly is fitted behind your cabinet wall. Now you can place the snake inside the pipe and keep it there until you think that you have unclogged your kitchen sink.
⇒Nothing worked? Go for coat hanger!
As weird as it sounds, but you will get the required results if you will try the coat hanger. Yes! It is equally good as a Plumber’s snake. Although it might not reach as far as a professional tool inside the pipe but still you can surely try your luck with this. This will work the same way as a plumber’s snake but if you do not have the tool, this may also help to unclog your kitchen sink.
Trying these tips will help you save your money and time. Ideally, you need to take frequent care of your kitchen sink and its drainage by avoiding the solid waste being thrown in there.
I’m a housewife. I like to do the cooking and other things related to home. That’s why I created this blog to share my experience