Though it sounds like it is hard to scratch, one of the main threats of this type of sink is scratches and even rust. Scratches are caused by elements such as utensils.
When you pile a lot of them in the sink, chances are high that it will be scratched. Scratches can occur too especially during the times of transportation. This is especially when the sink is not packaged well.
The challenged posed then is how to remove these scratches. How then is it done? This article is going to guide you on a step by step process of how to get rid of scratches. Read on for more information.
What are the main causes of scratches in stainless sinks?
There are several factors that can cause the stainless sink to have scratches. Among them are:
- Using and accumulating utensils on the sink. Spoons, knives, and forks can be more notorious in this.
- Applying of strong bleaching agents to wash the sink. Such bleaching agents include chlorine.
- Using strong abrasive cleaners. Stainless sinks need a lot of tenderness when cleaning it. The use of soft cloth to clean the sink is highly encouraged.
- The use of sink with steel brushes makes it have several scratches.
- Using the sink in the opposite direction of the grain.
- Use of steel wool is the cause of is another scratch in stainless sinks.
How are such scratches removed / How to clean stainless steel sink scratches?
The stainless steel sink is one of the items that are in constant use in the kitchen. This makes it accumulate dirt almost all the time. Cleaning it is therefore inevitable. It is this act of frequent cleaning which causes it to get scratched. How to remove theses scratches is as explained below:
Scratches can be categorized as either:
- Minor and
- Major and or severe.
No matter the types, removing them is not a choice.
There are basically three ways of getting rid of the scratches. They are as follows:
- By use of the sandpaper.
- Use of scratch remover.
- By deploying a cleaner.
Use of sandpaper to remove scratches from stainless steel sink.
This method is more common especially when the scratches are noticeable and very deep. A lot of pressure is not necessary when using sandpaper because it may cause even more harm than good.
Ensure that you rub the sandpaper against the scratch in the sink. It will be better if you will establish how the general grain of the sink flows. From that point, scrub with minimum pressure until the scratches get filled up.
When using this method, you are advised to use long streaks as shorter ones will take quite an amount of time to fill up the scratch.
Do not use this method if the scratch is light. Use other methods to get rid of light scratches. A lighter form of sandpaper that can be used to remove shallow scratches is bright pads.
By the use of a scratch remover to get scratches out of stainless steel sink.
This is one of the most common methods used by several people to deal with scratches. Scratch removers too are used to clear deep scratches. Not all scratch removers, however, a fit for any sink.
You have to carry out a study to find out which cleaner best fits your sink. It is advisable to check online sources too for leads before buying one. Go through the sink’s manual for more information as well.
The best way to get rid of the scratches is by cleaning the sink following the direction of the grain. Anything contrary to that will cause more harm than good to the sink.
The manufacturer’s guide book can inform you of the general direction of the grain. However, if you do not have any, a closer look at the sink will be able to reveal how the grain flows.
To remove the scratch using the remover, follow the following steps:
- Spray an appropriate amount of remover on the grit pad. You can approximate this so that you do not apply more or less than wanted remover.
- Bring the grit pad to scratch.
- Scrub the grit pad following the grain of the sink. Apply moderate to medium pressure. Too much pressure will cause the sink to be damaged. Scrub slowly until the scratch disappears.
- Finish the process by use of a soft cloth. To this cloth, spray some little amount of remover. Scrub it gently with the soft cloth until all the scratches fully disappear. Switching from the rough grit pad to a soft cloth needs a lot of judgment. Still, in some cases, the manual should clearly specify at what point you should switch from one to another. Excess scrubbing may lead to more damages.
- Remember to rinse the remover when you are done with removing the scratches. This can be done through the use of water only. Where necessary, use a soft cloth to wipe away water. Leave the sink to dry.
By use of a cleaner to fix scratches on the stainless steel sink.
This method is mostly applicable when dealing with light or shallow scratches. Normal dishwashing soaps, together with a very soft cloth can be used to solve this problem.
After applying the soap to the cloth, scrub the scratch following the grain of the sink. Little pressure is required for this job. Remember to always apply enough cleaner which can cover the scratch at any given moment.
Once you have applied the cleaner to all noticeable scratches, give it sufficient time to dry up. This is to allow the substance to cover up the scratches. Depending on the cleaner used, the amount of time taken to dry up will differ.
When the soap or the cleaner has dried up, rinse it off by the use of water. For more effectiveness, you are advised to use a rag to remove the dried cleaner by use of a rag.
The dried cleaner should be able to lift out the scratches from the sink. If it does not lift up the scratch, you can try stronger cleaners.
Should the cleaner fail to function as expected, then you can switch to the other methods such as sandpaper. However, it should not be difficult for the cleaner to clear the scratches since the scratches are shallow.
Scratches in the sink can be a great eyesore. They ought to be removed as soon as they are noticed. It is important however to protect your sink from such damages. There are majorly three ways of getting rid of scratches in the sink.
All the steps are as enumerated above. You are advised to adhere to the appropriate steps according to the extent of damage to your sink.
Keep your sink healthy always.
I’m a housewife. I like to do the cooking and other things related to home. That’s why I created this blog to share my experience