Shopping for a Powerful Blender for your Kitchen?
Look no further!
No kitchen is truly complete without a blender.
Whether you want to whip up a refreshing drink like a piña colada, turn kale and frozen fruit into healthy green smoothies, or prepare ingredients for ice cream, this staple kitchen appliance is the way to go.
You can even make baby food or hot soup in a blender, or grind, chop, and mix dry ingredients for delicious nut butter.
While blenders aren’t a luxury item, their price range can still range from $50 to $500. You can choose from several types, including smoothie makers for on-the-go drinks and full-size models for larger batches.
So, which is the best blender for your kitchen?
Let’s find out!
What’s In This Buying Guide
- 1 What’s In This Buying Guide
- 2 Best Blenders for a Kitchen
- 3 Most Compact: Mueller Austria Ultra-Stick Hand Blender
- 4 Editor’s Pick: Ninja BL660 Professional Countertop Blender
- 5 Best for Smoothies: Oster Pro 1200
- 6 Most Versatile: Ninja BL770 Mega Kitchen System
- 7 Most Durable: Vitamix 5200 Blender
- 8 Most Budget-friendly: NutriBullet ZNBF30400Z Blender
- 9 Kitchen Blender Buying Guide
- 10 Kitchen Blenders: Frequently Asked Questions
- 11 Final Verdict: What is the Best Blender for a Kitchen Sold Today?
With such a wide range of price tags and options, choosing the right blender for your kitchen can be a bit tricky. To help you make the right choice, we’ve reviewed some of the best models available today.
We’ve also compiled a comprehensive buying guide and included a few tips on cleaning and maintenance to ensure that your blender lasts a long time.
Best Blenders for a Kitchen
Disclaimer: All links below go to Amazon.com
- Most Compact: Mueller Austria Ultra-Stick Hand Blender
- Editor’s Pick: Ninja BL660 Professional Countertop Blender
- Best for Smoothies: Oster Pro 1200
- Most Versatile: Ninja BL770 Mega Kitchen System
- Most Durable: Vitamix 5200 Blender
- Most Budget-friendly: NutriBullet ZNBF30400Z Blender
Most Compact: Mueller Austria Ultra-Stick Hand Blender
- Ergonomic and non-slip grip ensures comfort
- Full copper motor can handle continuous use
- Comes with fixed blade locks and a removable blending arm
- Steel S-shaped blade blends ingredients quickly
- Offers 9 speed levels and a pulse button
- 500-watt motor
The Mueller Ultra-Stick blender boasts a 500-watt motor and 9 speed levels, making it a versatile immersion blender that’s able to handle a wide range of applications.
Its stainless-steel S-shaped blades mix sauces, baby food, milkshakes, smoothies, and soups quickly, while its long body easily reaches the bottom of deep pots.
The blender’s 9 speeds provide complete blending control, and its small body takes up almost no space, so you can keep it wherever you want.
Along with blending, this Mueller Austria model comes with milk frother and whisk attachments for additional flexibility in the kitchen. All 3 attachments are extremely easy to clean – you just need to toss them all in the dishwasher when you’re done using them.
However, you can’t run the Mueller Ultra-Stick hand blender for more than 60 seconds, as it tends to overheat quickly. To prevent this from happening, you’ll have to let the appliance cool down for around 2-3 minutes after every minute of use.
- Extremely affordable
- Includes a whisk and frother attachment
- Dishwasher-safe for quick cleaning
- Comfortable grip design
- Detachable shaft makes it easy to clean
- Backed by a 1-year warranty
- Not suitable for prolonged operation
- A bit difficult to control
Editor’s Pick: Ninja BL660 Professional Countertop Blender
- Powerful 1100-watt motor delivers a professional performance
- 3 speeds, single-serve, and pulse functions
- 72-ounce pitcher is perfect for crushing ice
- Comes with two 16-ounce travel cups with to-go lids
- Large pitcher can make creamy, frozen smoothies and drinks for the entire family
- 6-blade assembly turns ice into snow in seconds.
We particularly like the BL660 because it boasts all the great capabilities and features of high-end models at a lower cost.
The Ninja BL660 Blender is basically 2 blenders in one. Its large 72-ounce pitcher crushes whole fruits, vegetables, and ice within seconds, while the personal 16-ounce blender is perfect for on-the-go smoothies.
If you want a powerful blender that can make single-serve recipes, as well as drinks for the entire family, then the Ninja BL660 is the perfect option!
The complete package includes an inspiration guide, a 72-ounce jug with an easy pouring spout, two 16-ounce cups with to-go lids, a base unit, and a user manual.
All 3 containers are BPA-free and dishwasher-safe, while the body itself boasts digital controls and a stainless steel construction. The base also has a cord stuff box at the back for easier cleaning and grip feet on the bottom to ensure stability during use.
This Ninja model has 3 speeds and a pulse button.
You can use the 3 speed options to mix, process, blend, or puree and the pulse button to process ingredients in controlled bursts of power.
The single-serve cups work with an individual pulse speed button.
The Ninja BL660’s multiple sharp blades and powerful motor can make a smoothie in just 10-30 seconds and 30-50 seconds if you add frozen ingredients, ice, or tough vegetables like celery and carrots. The pulse function further ensures smoother and quicker results.
However, the BL660 cannot process dry ingredients, so make sure you don’t try to make flour with the blender.
It also doesn’t liquefy leafy greens completely, but this is a common problem with other models as well. If you don’t want a pulpy green smoothie, you can use the single-serve cups for a smoother and better result.
- Labeled measurements on the pitcher
- Perfect for crushing ice
- Dishwasher-safe for easier cleaning
- BPA-free and extremely safe to use
- Handy server cups allow you to enjoy smoothies on the go
- Does not handle leafy greens well
- Might not fit some countertops
Best for Smoothies: Oster Pro 1200
- Offers 3 pre-programmed settings
- 7 speed options
- Extra-wide 3.5-inch blade system
- Powerful 1200-watt motor
- 6-cup dishwasher-safe Boroclass glass container
- Dual direction blade technology blends in both reverse and forward motion
- Extra-large 24-ounce smoothie cup for on-the-go smoothies
- Backed by a 10-year limited warranty
- Connected to a 16-inch cord
The Oster Pro 1200 boasts an incredibly powerful motor that consistently pulverizes greens, crushes ice, and blends frozen fruit into a delicious sorbet. Its 3 smart settings and 7 speeds eliminate guesswork, allowing you to make shakes, smoothies, and salsas with just the press of a button.
This Oster model is fairly powerful for its price. Its 1200-watt motor is ideal for household blending tasks.
Its pitcher is also constructed with heavy-duty, easy-to-clean, and temperature-resistant glass. This makes the Pro 1200 sturdier than most models with plastic containers and ensures that no undesirable chemicals or odors leach into your food.
However, the feature that makes the Oster Pro 1200 stand out from the crowd is the patented dual-direction blade technology.
The blades rotate counter-clockwise and clockwise at regular intervals, making a forward-and-reverse motion that prevents them from jamming and creates a strong vortex for a smoother and creamier blend.
The Oster Pro 1200 has 9 digital buttons. Its 3 pre-programmed settings are Green/Frozen Smoothies, Food Chop/Salsa, and Milkshake, which makes it easier for you to perform specific tasks. Its speed modes (Low, Medium, High, and Pulse) work in both directions.
With such a powerful motor, this Oster blender is ideal for making creamy, smooth, and delicious smoothies from berries, green vegetables, and fruits. The seeds and skins of strawberries, blueberries, and other fruits are so finely pulverized that you won’t even taste them in your smoothie.
Despite the small size, the Oster Pro 1200 has a fairly loud operation. The noise is louder and more pronounced when you blend harder ingredients, like apples, carrots, and ice cubes. This can make the blender a bit irritating to use, especially if you have a small kitchen.
However, you can easily reduce the noise by placing a rubber mat underneath the blender.
- Easy to assemble and use
- Dishwasher-safe container ensures easy cleaning
- Excellent control over the mixing and blending processes
- Glass jar is extremely durable
- Ideal for crushing ice and making cold drinks
- A bit loud for some people
- Can skitter across the countertop
Most Versatile: Ninja BL770 Mega Kitchen System
- Large 72-ounce crushing pitcher
- 8-cup food processing bowl
- BPA-free and dishwasher-safe components
- Two 16-ounce Nutri Ninja travel cups with to-go lids
- 1500-watt base with 4 blending speeds
If you want an extremely versatile blender that works in almost every situation, this Ninja model is the perfect option! Boasting a 1500-watt base, 4 blending speeds, a large 72-ounce pitcher, and a pulse button, the BL770 is ideal for making delicious drinks for the entire family.
The best thing about this unit is that it comes with a lot of accessories. Along with the typical pitcher, the package includes a dough blade, two 16-ounce cups with to-go lids, and a food processor bowl, so you can turn the large machine into a prep cooking appliance or personal blender, according to your needs.
The combination of a juicer, food processor, and blender in one appliance saves you the cost and hustle of purchasing 3 separate machines. The BL770 features different blade assemblies. It is also dishwasher-safe and perfect for heavy-duty tasks.
Its Total Crushing Technology reduces ice into snow within seconds and easily converts your frozen fruits into delicious smoothies. Its food processing capabilities make meal prep easier as well, while its dough blades automatically knead your dough, leaving you free to perform other tasks.
The Ninja BL770 blender and all its included accessories are also BPA-free, dishwasher-safe, and mostly made of thick, clear plastic. Lastly, its base has a control panel with 6 buttons (Blend, Crush, Dough, Single Serve, Power, Pulse) and is extremely easy to use.
While both the food processor and blender have a main lid, they don’t have a second opening for adding ingredients while the machines are in use. This can make it a bit difficult to make dressings and vinaigrettes.
- Multifunctional blender works as a food processor and a personal blender
- Dishwasher-safe and BPA-free
- Budget-friendly unit with a beautiful, classic design
- Interface is easy to use
- Comes with a removable blade
- Can be easily placed in a cabinet
- Not suitable for whole or fibrous foods
- Warranty period is a bit short
Most Durable: Vitamix 5200 Blender
- 4-prong aircraft-grade stainless steel blade
- 10 speed controls
- 64-ounce clear pitcher
- Thermal protection and radial cooling fan system
- Can turn cold ingredients into steaming hot soup in around 6 minutes
The Vitamix 5200 is nothing less than a blending powerhouse. The machine can puree hearty soup and make creamy peanut butter without spewing liquid up the sides of the pitcher. While the unit doesn’t have pre-programmed settings, it does offer an extremely wide range of speeds.
The shape and size of the container are perfect for blending almost everything from a single-serve smoothie to hot soup for the entire family.
Its powerful motor and variable speed give you complete control and allow you to change the speed at any time during blending to create the right texture.
This Vitamix blender also comes with a tamper to help process stubborn, thick mixtures, so you won’t have to stop the blender after every few seconds to scrape the sides.
The Vitamix 5200’s high-performance motor blends heavy powder, leafy greens, and frozen fruit into smooth mixtures. At the same time, the precise container design folds ingredients back into the blades for a smoother and faster blend.
This unit’s aircraft-grade stainless steel blades ensure smooth, high-quality results, even with the toughest ingredients, making the blender one of the most durable and reliable units available today.
Its motor also boasts a 7-year warranty, which further showcases the company’s confidence in the blender’s durability.
The blades of the Vitamix also reach fast enough speeds to create friction heat, turning cold ingredients steaming hot in around 6 minutes.
This model is extremely easy to clean as well. You just need to add warm water and a few drops of dish soap to the container and blend at the highest speed. You won’t have to disassemble any parts, as the machine will self-clean in about 60 seconds.
However, you cannot remove the blades, so getting all the food out can be difficult. You can purchase a separate Vitamix spatula that reaches between the blades, but the cleaning will still be a bit difficult for thicker foods.
- Extremely powerful blender breaks up almost everything you put in it
- 10 variable speed options
- Can process both small and large food batches
- Effective for soups, frozen desserts, smoothies, and sauces
- Versatile unit can grind, chop, mill, and blend
- Controls are simple to use
- Quick self-cleaning function
- Covered by a 7-year warranty
- Does not have any pre-programmed settings
- No pulse mode
Most Budget-friendly: NutriBullet ZNBF30400Z Blender
- 3 precision speeds with a pulse function
- Powerful, 1200-watt motor base
- 64-ounce pitcher with tamper, lid, and vented lid cap
- Boasts cyclonic action and durable stainless steel construction
- BPA-free and dishwasher-safe pitcher is constructed with high-performance plastic
- Vented pitcher can easily handle the heat
This 1200-watt NutriBullet Blender is perfect for people with a small budget. It has all the main features of more expensive models, and you’ll be hard-pressed to find any major problems with it.
This Nutribullet keeps things simple with only 3 power options, a 1200-watt motor, and a pulse function. It delivers an excellent performance, whether you use it to crush ice, blend frothy smoothies, or make smooth batters.
The 64-ounce jar is big enough for almost all recipes, and the included tamper ensures that all your ingredients fold back into the blades. The jar is also dishwasher-safe and covered by a one-year warranty.
The NutriBullet ZNBF30400Z also boasts tough stainless-steel blades with cyclonic action that not only deliver a powerful performance but also prevent food from getting stuck in the blades.
The durable blade design and powerful motor easily tear up the ingredients in the container, so you can chop, blend, and puree both soft and hard vegetables and fruits with this model.
Plus, the large, BPA-free pitcher is constructed with thick plastic, making it ideal for blending smoothies for the whole family. You can clean the blades, pitcher, and lid in the dishwasher, so clean-up is simple and fast as well.
Since this NutriBullet doesn’t come with any pre-programmed settings, you’ll have to control the speed level and the timing. However, we think that it is definitely worth the additional effort.
- Dishwasher-safe components for easier cleaning
- Nutrition extraction technology and a powerful motor allow you to make a wide range of smoothies, sauces, and nut butter
- Tough and durable blade design
- Excellent value for the money
- Helps make soups and all other kinds of hot foods
- 1-year warranty
- Does not have any pre-programmed blending settings
- Lacks a self-cleaning mode
Kitchen Blender Buying Guide
How to Use a Kitchen Blender Properly
With a large variety of settings, sizes, and blade types, using a blender can be a bit intimidating. But regardless of size or model, there are a few common things you need to know to use one correctly.
To help you unlock your blender’s full potential and create fun and exciting meals, here are our best tips on how to use one properly:
- Cut solid foods into small pieces before adding them to any blender.
- Make sure the lid is secure before switching it on.
- If your blender is variable speed, always start on the lowest setting and then ramp gradually as needed.
- Cover the lid with a towel when you add liquids like hot puree or oil, as they can splatter and dirty your kitchen.
- Always leave extra room in the jar for blending, never fill it to the top. Preferably, fill two-thirds of the jug with solids and liquids.
- If your blades do not work smoothly, use a tamper to push down and stir the ingredients.
- If you notice an air bubble, stop the machine and use a spatula to mix the ingredients before starting it again.
- Add liquid gradually if you want to make your mixture thinner and smoother.
- Use the blender in intervals if the jar feels hot. Make sure you allow it to cool so that it doesn’t overheat.
- Remember to never soak the base of the blender, as it can cause an electric shock. You can use a smooth sponge or a damp cloth to clean it instead.
What to Look for in a Kitchen Blender
Choosing a kitchen appliance, especially one that you use so often, is a very big step. The fact that blenders vary in almost all categories, including speed, strength, and size, further makes the decision tricker.
To help you choose a model that best suits your needs, we’ve compiled a buying guide that explains all the factors you should consider before shopping!
If you want to whip up the occasional morning smoothie or milkshake, you’ll need a different blender than the one you’d use if you love homemade almond butter or whole-fruit juicing.
The following are the 4 most common types available today:
- Conventional/All-Purpose blenders are the most budget-friendly. They can easily handle smoothies and milkshakes, but they can leave your drinks a bit chunky depending on the wattage and blade design.
- High-Performance/Premium blenders boast high-quality components and create super-smooth results. You can use them to turn cream and ice into delicious frozen desserts, nuts into butter, and raw vegetables into creamy soups. However, they are expensive and can range anywhere from $200 to $700.
- Smoothie/Personal blenders are ideal for milkshakes, powdered drinks, and fruit smoothies. The mixing container is small and doubles as a to-go cup, making these blenders perfect for both commuters and athletes. They’re also cheaper than premium and conventional blenders.
- Stick/Handheld/Immersion blenders are submerged into the drink or food you want to prepare. If you want to make a soup or gravy, you can directly puree the ingredients in the pot. This saves you the hassle of transferring all the ingredients into the blender in small batches.
Although it seems counter-intuitive, high-end blenders are not designed with sharp blades that dull over time. Instead, they boast strong blades that blend almost anything and last a long time. These blades make them safer to clean as well.
If you don’t like having your blender out on the countertop, you should opt for a smaller unit.
Countertop units are usually more portable and easily fit into a cabinet. However, if you’re going to keep your blender on the kitchen counter, make sure you consider its height so you don’t end up buying a model that doesn’t fit underneath your kitchen cabinets.
Plastic or glass
While glass is heavier, it doesn’t stain or retain odors as easily as plastic blenders.
Most powerful models don’t come with glass jars as they’re not completely shatter-proof.
However, if you want a glass unit, make sure you choose one that has been thermal shock tested.
Some high-end units also come with jars made with BPA-free Tristan plastic that can withstand the power of high-speed blades.
Models with higher wattage usually deliver better performance, but this is not always the case. The blender’s overall design is also an important factor that affects its performance.
With a typical model, accessories can make a world of difference. A tamper is perfect for mixing the stubborn bits back into the mixture, making it an extremely useful accessory.
If you’re going to make frozen drinks and smoothies, it’s better to choose a unit that comes with a set of travel cups or to-go containers.
If you’re planning on blending larger, denser foods, then a unit with a wheel blade option, a food processing bowl, and a high-power wattage is more suitable.
You don’t have to choose a boring blender. You can choose a colorful and sporty model or one with a sturdy feel and lovely finish.
Make sure you also consider the aesthetics if you’re going to place the blender on the countertop.
This factor primarily depends on personal preference. Touchpad controls are easier to clean but can be a little difficult to operate for some people. For instance, you may have to press a button multiple times to turn it off and on.
You can easily switch from one setting to another with push buttons, but their crevices can become filled with grime.
Dial controls are easy to clean, but you will have to go through numerous settings to reach the desired one.
Lastly, a flip switch is easy to use but only gives you a few options.
Blenders can have as little as two speeds or as many as 18.
It’s better to choose a unit with 3-10 speed settings. Having more than 10 settings is a bit confusing and unnecessary, and having less than 3 limits control.
It’s also advisable to choose a blender with a pulse button, as it offers more precision when working with delicate ingredients.
Some high-end models are also designed with pre-programmed settings, like whole-fruit juice, hot soup, and smoothies.
Cleaning and Maintenance: Kitchen Blenders
If your blender does not process ingredients smoothly, there’s no harm in being a bit aggressive with the tamper to move the mixture around. It’s also advisable to keep the jar at least 25% full.
While high speeds can help make smoother mixtures, a slower speed might also help mix the ingredients if they’re not moving. If you’re following a recipe, make sure you add the ingredients in the given order.
Make sure you avoid making mashed potatoes, extracting juice from fruit or vegetables without the proper setting, kneading dough, and grinding tough meat such as beef in a blender.
A dense and solid ingredient will overheat the unit, so it’s better to use a food processor or some other heavy-duty appliance to chop it up.
Cleaning a blender is extremely easy. If your unit is not dishwasher-safe, you can follow these steps for a thorough cleaning:
- Rinse the jug and fill it halfway with warm water.
- Add a bit of dish soap and secure the lid.
- Start the blender and gradually ramp up the speed to the highest setting.
- Run the appliance for around 30 to 60 seconds.
- Bring the speed down to low and then turn the appliance off.
- Rinse the container with hot water and dry completely on a dish rack or towel.
- If needed, scrub under the blades with a cleaning brush and ensure you don’t touch the blades with your fingers.
- Unplug the blender before storing it, and make sure the container is dry so that the blades don’t rust.
Kitchen Blenders: Frequently Asked Questions
What are kitchen blenders used for?
Kitchen blenders are basically used to liquefy, puree, and emulsify.
While you can use a blender to slice or chop ingredients, you won’t get consistent results, so using a food processor for such tasks is better.
What is the ideal wattage for a blender?
You should choose a model with at least a 500-watt motor. This will save you money in the long run, as frozen fruit and ice won’t affect the blades or the motor.
Can you sharpen blender blades?
If your blender is old and unable to puree at its best, you can sharpen its blades instead of purchasing a new appliance.
Since the blades are made with metal, you can sharpen them easily with the right tools and methods.
Final Verdict: What is the Best Blender for a Kitchen Sold Today?
With such a wide range of models available today, choosing the best kitchen blender is next to impossible.
If you want to make smoothies, then you should go for the Oster Pro 1200.
However, if you want something you can easily place in your kitchen cabinet, then the Muller Austria Ultra-Stick Immersion Blender is the more suitable option.
Lastly, if you want a quality unit without breaking the bank, then the NutriBullet ZNBF30400Z Blender is the way to go.
However, make sure you go through all the aforementioned models to find a blender that best suits your kitchen and needs.